Cleaner Production Project in Jordan
In the perspective of establishing a Cleaner Production Center in Jordan, sba
and the University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland (FHNW) collaborated together to serve as a Reference Centre for the implementation of the project. The Environmental Research Centre (ERC) of the Royal Scientific Society (RSS) is the appointed project partner in Jordan. A CP unit was thus established at ERC/RSS.
Cleaner Production Workshops take place annually in Amman (Jordan). It is a unique opportunity for Arab participants from Middle East, Maghreb and Gulf countries to share up-to-date CP tools, results and case studies contributing to the adaptation to climate change.
Main results achieved are the promotion of CP in Jordan based on integrated training within industries:
- Sector approach (metal, paint, food, fertilizer, tourism, micro-enterprises)
- Promotion of new CP related topics (i.e. Life Cycle Assessment, Risk Analysis, Clean Development Mechanism, Environmental Auditing)
- Several training modules on methodologies, instruments and applications of CP
- 34 CP in-plant assessments and implementations within industries in given selected sectors (see publication)
- CP unit has now a core staff of 12 people who can act as local experts in CP
- Launch of the first CP Award in Jordan
- Jordanian CP centre's website: www.cp.org.jo
April 2004 - March 2010
Diploma of advanced studies en stratégie environnementale et enjeux économiques